Re: Re: Up-coming AMSAT Board Election - Gunther -

Hello Dave.

I dont understand why the school contacts even bother with ham radio either
directly or through a telebridge.

The TDRS system has multiple uplink/downlink capability for voice.  The
telebridge could be to the Johnson Spaceflight Center in Clear Lake City
(sorry Houston we were annexed a bunch of years ago) and go from there.  Its
done all the time so our leader and foreign ones can talk to the "strows" on
orbit.

I dont know what the actual total cost have been for the radio on ISS.  But
knowing a reasonable number of the strows the reality is that only a very
few are interested in amateur radio but most view it as just another event
on the timeline...and keeping the timeline going is the big item in space.

What looks interesting is the stuff the USNA is planning on doing there.
That might be real amateur radio.  That strikes me as the stuff that
demonstrations that have real value to ham radio are made of.

Robert Oler WB5MZO