Re: ARISS

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:

> AMSAT members supply a huge amount of volunteer labor for ARISS, and
> nobody is suggesting that that should stop.  But why should AMSAT fund
> the administrative expenses?

But those are the main expenses!  As you say 98% of the labor is
volunteer...

> NASA arguably gets more benefit, and AMSAT
> provides volunteer labor that would cost NASA missions of dollars per
> year to do themselves.  Why shouldn't NASA fund the administration?

Because they wouldn't.  And if they did, it would cost 10 times as much
and they would cancel it and then we'd lose one of our best public
outreach mechanisms ever.

AND, the golden rule:  never give a bureaucracy over which you have NO
control, the power to kill you.

And the reason AMSAT does this is because it is HAM radio in space, and
that is what AMSAT is all about.  Maybe some of us need to not just
think "whats in this for ME?"  and instead considered "what's best for
the future of HAM radio, they might have a better picture of the kinds of
decisions that the AMSAT BOD has to deal with...

de WB4APR, Bob