getting ready to go on AO40 in ZL

Hi Barry,

My name is Kevin, ZL1OVY.  Have just recently been re-bitten by the
satellite bug (former RS and Dove user, and MIR).  My story may be a
familiar one.  Bought a FT-847 just before AO-40 launched, sold it 6mos
later when it wasnít going to be ďeasyĒ to work AO40 and my interest
waned.  But thanks to a local satellite Guru (ZL1AOX) being very helpful
& patient and tutoring me, my interest has come back.  Now that Iíve
seen a demo, and realizing the fright of trying 2.4Gig is actually not
so bad after all, I have decided to give AO40 a 2nd try.  The little
sats with short orbits donít hold my interest, if Iím going to make a
big investment in time and $$, I want to enjoy it for several hrs at a
time.

Joined AMSAT 3wks ago, last week I got my James Miller patch feed,
AIDC3731 and 60cm dish pointed at AO-40, InstaTrack updated and heard it
for several hrs at apogee using an FT-817 as the receiver, about
5S-units above the noise on the FT-817. Lots of SSB & CW heard, as well
as MB.  So it looks like Iím all set there for rx.

My IC-910H & 23cm module, arrived from the states today.  I have a 23cm
21 ele. loop yagi  (originally bought for 23cm ATV and not used much),
and know it wonít be perfect, however I will try it as my uplink aerial
since I already own it!  Just a temp pointing clamp system in use at
present, however at apogee, its fine for a good ½ hr or more.  May order
a G5500 soon, then make a decision on tracking system/software later
down the track (pun intended).

I would be keen to try a contact with you (or anyone for that matter).
However the reality is itíll probably take me a couple weeks in between
work &  family commitments before Iíve had time to master using the new
rig & learnt Doppler tuning so Iíd be confident enough to give it a go
on an official ďskedĒ.  I want to hear my own signal first, and be
confident I can work it competently before making a fool of myself on a
real sked!

I also have an IRLP node (6493) at my QTH so I could use that to
co-ordinate on the air so to speak, if you have IRLP available where you
are??

Wanted to reply to your email to express interest in a sked between ZL
and SA (but just not as soon as tomorrow!).  If you can be patient, I
will let you know when Iím ready to go.  That goes for anyone else who's
still reading this!

Iíve been talking up AO-40 the past few weeks on our local rag-chew
techie freq, and 2 more ZL hams have ordered K5GNA downconverters Ė
there may soon be a surge in ZL-ops on AO-40.  These 2 guys were big
AO-10/13 users; who I think were the same as me, the fear of the unknown
about S-band probably has kept a few potential ops away. So who knows
what weíve started here in ZL!!

73,
Kevin  Zl1OVY
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~zl1ovy/HAMRADIO.HTM