Re: Up-coming AMSAT Board Election - Gunther -

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Dave Guimont wrote:

> I disagree vociferously, however, with the following points:
>
> >Expand the support of the ARISS program to expose more school age kids
>
> In my opinion this does little more than support NASA.

That is an amazing attitude, since what I see is rooms full of kids, with
media and parents and all getting a few-week's-long dose of Amateur radio
at its finest.  I cannot possibly understand your view, Dave.

> We set up a satellite station at a local beach during summer vacation
> along with another promotion and we had a steady stream of curiosity
> seekers....

A world of difference compared to getting kids and parents and media in
an acacemic environment where they are paying rapt attention and the demo
is only the culmination of a series preparotory events.

> These activities didn't cost AMSAT a red cent!!  Compare that to a
> "student/demo" cost to what ARISS is gobbling up...

A School ARISS contact does not cost anything either other than a lot of
volunteer time and interraction with the students over a several week
period.  A lot better investment in HAM radio than a gee-whiz demo to a
lot of drunks on the beach.

de WB4APR, Bob