Area coordinators Job description

On 9 Jul 2003 at 17:22, Greg Wycoff wrote:

> What good would that do, heck I volunteered to be a AMSAT coordinator back
> in April and have not recieved a darn thing from Barry Baines WD4ASW or from
> anyone at AMSAT, nor does it refleck it on the AMSAT-NA web site. I have
> been very active in our local AMSAT satellite net, and have done many demo's
> and recently even put on a presentation on AO-40 to our local radio club, as
> well been very active on all the satellites. But this must not be what AMSAT
> is looking for in a AMSAT coordinator.
>
> Greg N0ZHE

Here what you should get if Barry health was not hit. I got this from Barry on may 24 2001. Pay attention on
QUALIFICATIONS... aside of those who are full of legitimate excuses to not be on the satellites, when i wrote
"AMSAT BOD AND UNPAID STAFF AND LOCAL COORDINATORS show yourself on the air PREFERABLY ON SATELLITES"  i was
missing a point

The Field Ops Team
Area Coordinators are not expected to be 'Experts' on all facets of
satellite communications. Clearly, AC's will have excellent familiarity with
those areas that they have personal experience, such as working the digital
satellites, the LEO satellites, RS satellites, or AO-10. However, one is not
expected to be an expert in ALL areas.

After reading comments it seems that we have 3 main types of AC

Funds raisers
Hamfest and convention promoters
Conferencer

The rest are probably a species seeking extinction... The one who sit with a mike or a key facing radios. The
general feeling i got reading comments after asking AMSAT representative folks to be on the air (Lets say mor
on the air...) is "I have so much to do and i'm doing so much else for AMSAT don't bothered me with
hamming... Oups! I'm sorry asking you this. Next time i will probably asking you to play chess in your spare
time.

Another issue for our BOD candidates... back to basics, AO-40 is generally empty A SUPER SATELLITE can we at
least promoting it more?  (PR: answering back at least on questions ask) We have network, contests on it,
when we will reach saturation AMSAT will be in good shape.

Here is what i got from Barry. This dates back in 2001 update has probably been done since (no mention of AO-
40)

Thank you for your interest in serving as an area coordinator. Area
Coordinators (AC's) are AMSAT members who volunteer to 'show the flag'for
AMSAT. They serve as "Ambassadors of AMSAT" in their respective areas and
provide encouragement and support for people interested in learning about
the amateur radio satellite program.

Qualifications
Individuals who serve as AC's must meet the following requirements:
a. Maintain a current membership with Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation
(AMSAT-NA)
b. Have electronic mail capability through the internet (e.g.
bbaines@mediaone.net)
c. Be willing to work with individuals and organizations on a case-by-case
basis
d. Be willing to accept phone calls from individuals at home
e. Be willing to have their name and address/home phone number listed in the
Area Coordinators Listing (which is published in the March/April AMSAT
Journal) and which is provided to interested individuals (such as new
members) at hamfests and by the AMSAT office. In the future, the Listing
will likely be posted on the AMSAT web page.

In order to ensure our area coordinator listing is current, please forward
to me an e-mail (to wd4asw@amsat.org) which includes:
Your name and callsign
Your home address (including zip code)
Your home phone number (including area code)
If possible, your work number (including area code).

Note: Work numbers are not released in the 'Area Coordinator Listing'.this
is for my use only in the event that there is a need for me to reach you
during the day. Once we have you added to the list, should there be a change
in status of your address, phone number, etc., please send me another e-mail
with the
updated information. Keep in mind that I maintain the AC Listing, not
Martha. So, if you send Martha an updated address (so that your membership
record reflects the latest information), please send me the same thing.
AMSAT cannot cross reference the AC listing against the membership roster,
so it is likely that if you send a note to Martha and not to me, she won't
realize that your are an area coordinator and my list won't be updated.

The Field Ops Team
Area Coordinators are not expected to be 'Experts' on all facets of
satellite communications. Clearly, AC's will have excellent familiarity with
those areas that they have personal experience, such as working the digital
satellites, the LEO satellites, RS satellites, or AO-10. However, one is not
expected to be an expert in ALL areas. When we talk about satellite
communications today, we must include a wide variety of satellite options,
each with their own requirements and capabilities. Area Coordinators ARE
expected, however, to know where to find answers that may be posed to them
and to promptly respond to queries that they may receive. The secret, of
course, is to know where to get information that may not be readily known to
you. Generally, answers to most questions can be obtained one of several
ways:
a. From AMSAT publications that you may have (Such at the "Analog Operating
Guide"
b. From the AMSAT Web Site (www.amsat.org). If you haven't explored the
AMSAT web site recently, take a look at what is available.everything from
downloaded software to specific information on current (and future)
satellites in service.
c. The "Field Ops Update" Column in the AMSAT JOURNAL. The column typically
talks about activities/accomplishments of our AC's which may lead you to
think about what kinds to things that may appeal to you.
d. By all means. Download from the AMSAT web site a copy of the "AMSAT
Resource Guide" developed by WA4YMZ and updated by N1JEZ.
e. From other Area Coordinators
f. Periodic 'Field Ops Bulletins"released via e-mail

To support our coordinators, AMSAT has established an electronic re-mail
service. All area coordinators are added to the field ops mail broadcast
(fieldops@amsat.org) which area coordinators may use at any time to send out
queries. In addition, Field Ops Bulletins are sent out periodically to all
area coordinators. The ability to communicate with the entire Field Ops team
is a significant benefit and is the reason why we require that all
individuals who wish to be designated as an area coordinator maintain
current internet e-mail capability.

Keep in mind that there are area coordinators who have served for a number
of years. Should you run into a question about how to deal with a
particular question or situation, 'raise the flag' via e-mail to
fieldops@amsat.org and someone will likely give you the information or
advice that you are looking for. After all, many coordinators have been
through similar situations as you may find yourself. We also maintain an
'Experts Listing' of area coordinators who have indicated that they are
willing to take queries about their particular areas on interest. For
example, we have individuals who are willing to discuss the FT-736R, IC-821,
satellite tracking software such as Instant Trak and NOVA, working the
digital satellites, working with the Kansas City Tracker, Operating through
the RS satellites, etc. We try to update this listing periodically. If you
are interested in offering your area of interest, please send me a e-mail
(wd4asw@amsat.org) with your area of interest identified.

Functions
Area Coordinators are volunteers. As such, the types of activities that AC's
conduct in support of AMSAT are dependent upon a number of factors:
a. The interest of the individual
b. How much time an individual has to support AMSAT
c. The needs of the local community
d. The degree of support from AMSAT members and other AC's in their area
e. Opportunities that may be made available to support AMSAT (such as club
presentations, displays at local hamfests, etc.)

Because each individual faces different circumstances, there are no 'set
rules' concerning what an AMSAT Area Coordinator is required to 'do.'
Clearly, how much interest and motivation the volunteer has will influence
how 'active' an area coordinator will become. Suggested Area Coordinator
activities include:
a. Giving club presentations
b. Working an AMSAT booth or display table at hamfests
c. Establishing an AMSAT net on a local repeater (and getting volunteers to
help run it)
d. Serving as an ELMER to new satellite users
e. Developing materials tailored to local interests for distribution to
locally
f. Participating in Field Day by having a satellite station as part of the
local effort
g. Seeking answers to questions that local individuals may present but which
the AC doesn't have personal knowledge (see above about getting answers)

Above all, area coordinators must always remember that 'YOU are AMSAT.' How
much time/effort you spend on AMSAT related activities is pretty much
your call. However, we do request that everyone follow 'common sense' with
regard how you conduct yourself. This means, for example, that
a. Area Coordinators maintain common courtesy when dealing with others;
b. E-mail and telephone queries are replied to promptly (even if that means
sending a note promising that the area coordinator will respond within a
specified period of time).
c. No question is 'too dumb' and one never discounts a query.
d. You maintain qualification as an Area Coordinator (membership is current,
e-mail capability is retained, etc.)

Other Support Functions
Club Presentations are an excellent way to interest other amateurs in
satellites. To help area coordinators put together their own materials
(tailored to the interests of the audience as well as the presenter), there
are a number of presentations available that you can modify to fit your
needs. The majority of these are in power point format and were developed
for the various satellite workshops that AMSAT/ARRL have presented over the
past two years as well as items that our area coordinators have developed on
their own. Some of these can be found on the AMSAT web site. Feel free to
contact me and I will be glad to forward the latest version of my
"Introduction to Satellites" material which provides an overview of the key
terms, an overview of satellite types, and (most importantly) where to get
information, such as web sites, publications, and periodicals.
AMSAT also maintains a 'net listing' of known AMSAT regularly scheduled nets
on HF, VHF, and UHF around the US. There is also a list of bulletin boards
that cater to amateur satellite interests which is updated periodically.
Both can be obtained from Martha ot the AMSAT office (tel. 301-589-6062).

Summary
The success of any organization is based upon the willingness of people to
step forward and make a difference in how that organization succeeds. The
AMSAT's Field Ops has benefited from the hard work and dedication of its
volunteers, and our future accomplishments will be based in part upon the
willingness of our area coordinators to share ideas. I trust this overview
paper will give you some idea of what the Field Organization is all about.
Should you have any questions or suggestions on how to make AMSAT's field
organization more successful, please don't hesitate to contact me via e-mail
(wd4asw@amsat.org) or landline (904-359-1933 days/904-398-5185 nights).

Once again, welcome aboard!

'73
Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW