Fwd: RE: Area coordinators

>Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:40:13 -0800
>To: "Reicher, James" <JReicher@hrblock.com>
>From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@ptialaska.net>
>Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Area coordinators
>
>James,
>
>I hope I am not stepping on Barry's turf, but I will respond as I have
experienced being a Field Op or Area Coord (as you put it).

>I attended the 1997 Symposium in Tucson, AZ and attended the breakfast for
field ops on Sunday.  I believe it was then that I was invited to become a
field op.  I guess having an Alaskan member attend was somewhat unusual.
At that time I believe there were 2 or 3 field ops listed in Alaska.
Shortly later all but one, my good friend Mike, WL7BQM, withdrew.  Since
then I have submitted two names for consideration based on their activity
and helping others.  I think this has been the traditional manner of
selecting field ops (the other is by individuals stepping forward and
volunteering).

>Although it may be not generally known, all vol coord are welcomed by
Barry and given some suggestions of how they might function as a field vol.
 Just as there is a variety of interests in the satellite ham community,
there is a variety of interests, skill, knowledge, and activity by the
volunteers.  The leadership wisely gives the vol. latitude to serve in the
way he is best able and most interested.  So two field ops may be
geographically close but address different aspects of satellite operations.

>Contrary to appearances there are not "too" many area coords. because of
this.  It may be true that some have ceased to be active and perhaps a poll
of the field ops is warranted.  Every year Barry seeks for updates from
every field op for his annual list posted in the Journal.  I suspect Amsat
takes the less strict approach allowing everyone to participate according
to his ability and availability.  Volunteers are a sensitive group to
maintain!  In that respect I do not think elections are necessary or would
work as well.  I would hope that Amsat would resist the formality that has
ensued with the ARRL organization (I am an appointed ASM).

>It is certainly nice if you have a field op in your community to give you
an "eye-ball" session for help, but really this is not necessary in todays
connectivity by e-mail (lets not forget ham radio, also ;-)  If you have
been a resident of the Amsat-bb for any time that should be evident.  In
widespread areas where there is not a local coord handy it does become
important that Amsat presence be at local and area hamfests.  If there is
sufficient interest an Amsat Net can serve to connect folks and usually is
run by a field op.

>In my case, I initiated having an Amsat Booth at the Anchorage Hamfest
about five years ago.  Since I have had others help out but the main
responsibility for ordering, organizing, and manning it has been mine.
Fortunately, the host club (Anchorage ARC) has provide a free table.  I
still pay for traveling 180-miles (4-hours one-way over two-lane mountain
hwy), overnight lodging, meals and shipping materials not sold back to
Amsat...we are talking hundreds of dollars.  A trip to Symposium is in
excess of $1,000 (now double if taking my new wife along)(Toronto is 4,000
miles away).

>I am invited to talk at club meetings and on the weekly ARES Net (2m).
With only 3800 hams in a state 2-1/2 times the size of Texas it is a
challenge.  I do this same job for the SETI-League and was a former club
president, and minor official in ARRL...oh and work my 40+ hour/week job!
But my ham-radio loves are satellites, EME, and microwave...fortunately my
new wife is understanding!

>So I can't address your local situation; just how I see it from here.
Perhaps there is a hamfest having an Amsat booth that you would consider
driving to?  I saw a list for 2003 in a recent Journal.