RE: Area coordinators

Has there ever been a true job description defined for an Area Coordinator?
That might be a good start.

Another thing to look at is how the field organization of AMSAT is built.
Perhaps AC's ought to be elected, similarly to the way the ARRL manages its
field.  An AC along with a couple assistants maybe?

Too many AC's in one area is not necessarily a good thing.  Just as an
example, in Kansas, there are 2 AC's in the general vicinity of Wichita.
There's another one in Salina, a mere 90 miles (1 1/2 hours) away.

I d/l'ed the list and searched for the closest AC to Kansas City, an area
with a high density ham population.  The closest listed AC is south of
Springfield, MO., 175 miles over 2 lane highway (about 3 hours) away from
KC.   The next closest are Salina, Wichita, about 3 hours, the St. Louis
area, about 3 1/2 - 4 hours, then somewhere between Lincoln and Omaha, NE,
about the same time.

I'm not trying to disparage the job these people are doing, it's just that I
never see them, or AMSAT at any of the hamfests or club meetings around the
KC area, most likely because they are more interested in the goings-on a bit
closer to home.  That's perfectly understandable.  I know that AMSAT is no
where near the size of the League and probably never will come close.  It's
the nature of the beast, with our specialized interest.  But to get the word
out, maybe there's something other that could be done.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO