Re: Voluntary register of AMSAT Members

Scott,

Seems reasonable!  EME, MS, DXers all have such lists to help others locate
active stations in various areas.  Earlier this year I built such a list of
active radio telescopes conducting SETI observations (and members of the
SETI-League) for the same reason.  It was member only as e-mail addresses
were listed (privacy issue).

Ed - AL7EB
Amsat #3212
Alaska Amsat Field Op (one of three)
SETI-League Vol Coord (Alaska)
ARRL - ASM Kenai Peninsula Alaska
and member of several special ham radio clubs
dealing with microwave or VHF+ weak signal operation

At 10:07 AM 7/8/03 -0400, Scott Townley wrote:
>I think Mike probably has the best approach overall.
>It could be just like the WSJT registry (for those familiar)...just
callsign, grid locator, e-mail, and equipment.  Just enough info to arrange
skeds, no more.
>Actually there's no reason to limit it to AMSAT members...could be just
"active satellite ops".  You could add fields like "sats worked" and
"special condx"...fer instance, for AO-40, there seem to be many special
conditions like "blocked below 10 degrees elev bet. 180-220 az".
>And to get on the registry would be "opt-in" in the sense that you'd have
to take action to be on it.
><note to non-USA readers:  there is a significant anti-public-information
sentiment in our population for a variety of reasons.  It is a flashpoint
argument.  Best avoided completely>...which is why this approach would seem
best.

>Heck, if there's sufficient interest I'll even PUT IT TOGETHER and MANAGE
IT...how's that?