X-band on AO-40?

I asked this question over a year ago and don't remember if
ever got an answer to it or not and truthfully I don't
remember
when I sent it to look back in the archives..:(

I was checking the AMSAT-DL site again today and still see
that
X-band is still in a checkout phase. Can someone tell me
what
the full status of that downlink is? Are we ever going to be
able to use it or is that something that I am holding my
breath
for nothing?
Or is there something that I missed with it being tied
together
with the S2 transmitter that means we can't use it at the
same
time?

I've had a few people ask me this locally and I just can't
give
them a good quality reason or answer.

James W8ISS