Re: Voluntary register of AMSAT Members

ALL,
     I am an area Co-ordinator in NJ.  I go to all the local
Hamfests(weather permitting) and Put up a LARGE Banner with AMSAT on it.
 I usually have Nova running and answer a ton of questions while selling
the trinkets and other items to make money for AMSAT to put up
satellites.  I don't specify where the money should go as the BOD
usually has areas that need "watering!".  I am doing the Hamclub route
giving talks and answering the amazing questions.  Most of all, I am
infront of the Ham community having fun doing what I like to do and
returning the favors of others before me doing the same to get
satellites up where they belong.
     Yes, I have my own agenda and beliefs of what should be paramount
in this end of the hobby, however, I am not unique as others do the same
and most even more behind the scenes.  Many phone calls are to me for
assistance with "newbies" and "oldies" alike.  Area Co-ordinators do
have full time jobs and must think of family events too.
     I also use the satellites but not often enough since my work does
take up operational time and satellites aren't in view usefully at the
exact time I am home or want them to be. Without stretching the day by
an extra 10 hours (we all would like to do this), I feel pretty good
about what I accomplish for AMSAT in the time I have to give back.
     What is interesting is the amount of hams that use satellites
without thinking of the costs involved and not even considering joining
an organization (the ONLY one in the U.S.A.) that is directly involved
with assembling and launching the elements involved with this end of the
hobby. This is where I step in and ask the people that step up to my
AMSAT table and give them a guilt trip.  I sell more stickers and
patches that way, (Hi, Hi.!) and nothing warms me as much as that same
ham starting to fill out the membership application.
     My motto  "I work for donations!"  I am happy to become the
entertainment at a club meeting for that "Special Donation!"  Now, can I
interest all you on this BB who have "admitted" to not being AMSAT
members to step up to the plate and drop in your membership fee.  Martha
would love to hear from you all and ask her for our special "gifts" to
new and renewing membership applications.
73,
Dee Interdonato, NB2F
NJ Co-ordinator
"I work for Donations!"