Re: Voluntary register of AMSAT Members

At 11:53 AM 7/8/2003 -0400, Jim Sanford wrote:
>What does an area coordinator do?  As much or as little as he can at the
>time, mostly be available to answer questions, and direct interested
>people to resources.

I think this is a very important difference in the way other organizations
(Red Cross, for example) run their area coordinators.  Area Coordinators
are supposed to be active coordinators.  It's not just a title it's a
job.  IMHO an AC shouldn't sit at home and wait for someone to fall - AC's
should be out there proactively beating drums, selling AMSAT and reaching
out to others.  You aren't going to get people to join AMSAT if the ACs
aren't out there touting the benefits of membership.

I counted 5 coordinators within shouting (2m repeater) distance of my home,
and I've never heard any on the birds or on repeaters, talking up sats or
holding nets. Heck, I've only ever heard one on the air and that was during
the VHF/UHF contest.  If I had joined any other organization I would have
had an AC contact within a week.

-emily (w0eec)