Re: Voluntary register of AMSAT Members

At 06:03 PM 7/8/2003 +0100, John Heaton wrote:

>Since a lot of AMSAT-[A-Z][A-Z] members, (me included) have an alias set
>for callsign@amsat.org, you couldn't get away from publishing email
>addresses indirectly..  It shouldn't be hard for an email collection robot
>to work that one out...

Yes, of course. But there is no guarantee that there is an alias.  I only
set mine up about 6 weeks ago or so.

If a spammer really wants to harvest all the email addresses, it could just
take a random generator and continuously hit AMSATs email server and find
out which bounce and which don't.  But it's not economical to do that and
they would probably get caught and could be prosecuted for interfering with
e-commerce.  The mail-form process is indirect. Only humans can use it
effectively and your email address is never visible.

The point is that to just publish the email addresses directly is
irresponsible.  Snail and e-spammers are always hot to get your personal
information.  You shouldn't make it easy for them to do so.  You should
also use some other human-only readable security methods. It's not that
hard, just takes a bit of thought behind what you are proposing to do.

just my 2 pence...

- emily (w0eec)