big RUGGED dish

Joanne wrote:

My satellite project at http://home.earthlink.net/~maenpaa/
was put on-hold so I could get the Journal out on time.

Wayne replies:

Wow, that dish looks like it could survive a nuclear holocaust.  Or work from a flatbed truck while driving down the Interstate.  It's good to see you're building an az/el mount so you can point that dish at the planned P3E orbit.  I hope your tree obstructions aren't as bad as they appear in the photographs.

I don't have a big dish, but I have a lot of mature trees in and surrounding my property.  In my situation, a smaller dish on a 60 foot tower would be more effective than a big ground-mounted dish pointing through a continuous curtain of 30+ foot thick foliage.  Right now my 2-foot dish is 22 feet high on a roof tripod.  That reduces the maximum elevation of the foliage somewhat, but I point through very thick and dense trees to the west below about 28 degrees elevation.  The trees to my east are not so dense, so I can hear the satellite "almost okay".

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA