Re: On leaving AMSAT

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:52:59 -0400
> From: John Zaruba Jr <aa2bn@comcast.net>
> Subject: >
> I find that I concur with John and Jeff, I guess I must be a "Gee-Whiz"
> junkie as well.
>
> Yesterday, I had more fun than I can remember (recently) playing with
> satellites, and I wasn't even transmitting to one. I got a cheap dish
> and 2.4 GHz to 144 MHz downconverter, homebrewed an LHCP patch feed,
> and had the whole mess sitting on a lawn chair. I spent several hours
> investigating various parameters of the dish (beamwidth, gain, etc.)
> and environmental effects (I can copy the beacon through 1 layer of
> tree leaves, but not several). It was a hoot.
   <snip>

   Good example.
   Don't forget that "gee-whiz" is in the eye of the beholder and usually changes over
time.

   Some of the attraction of the often-maligned FM LEO birds is that "I can work
   someone via satellite from outer Mongolia with just a handheld and a small beam."
   For other people, this is old boring technology. Some people think that anything but
   a low earth orbit is "too easy"! It all depends on your point view.

   AMSAT's challenge is to appeal to enough of these diverse views to stay in a vibrant,
   and presumably growing posture. You can't please everyone all of the time but you
   better please enough of them to keep them having fun and renewing their memberships.

    73,
    Bob K0NR
    "Not leaving AMSAT any time soon"