From: Andrew Glasbrenner [mailto:glasbrenner@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 8:55 PM
To: Rick Hambly (W2GPS); amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Cc: ve3frh@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] member guide

>Drew,

>Why?  Because the Board voted in the past to keep the list private.  I know
>that isn't a very satisfactory answer but it's all I have. What the Board
>has done can be undone by another vote.  If you feel strongly on this issue
>you are free to make your feelings known to the Board members in hopes of
>getting the issue put on the agenda for the next Board meeting.  AMSAT
>executives cannot change the Board directives.

Thats a better answer than nothing. When is the next board meeting? I would
say it's time to revisit this topic, and I will certainly bring it up in
Toronto. I'd love to hear what the candidates think about this, so I can
vote accordingly. If someone is really paranoid about having their call
listed as a member, let them check a box to be excluded.

>My suggestion about QSLs was intended to add a bit of humor to the
>conversation.  However, what harm would come from introducing a membership
>insert to all who don't have AMSAT membership shown on their cards?

Nothing other than excess work and printing on my part for those that are
members.

>I don't recall hearing your suggestion regarding inserts at the Fort Worth
>meeting.  What are you asking for?  Do you want a standard form to use? Or
>were you asking for the Board to say it is OK? Or what?  On the surface it
>sounds like a good idea to me.

It was the Saturday afternoon session I think, in front of the entire BOD.
I'd like to see an official "blessing", and a PDF of a sheet with 2 or 3
applications per page posted on amsat.org. Ideally, we should track how many
new users this brings in. Think about it. I, or whoever else does this too,
pays for the envelope, postage, printing, and labor to deliver an
opportunity to pick up a new member to a highly "qualified" recipient.
What's the downside? Heck, we should track the one with the most referals
and give them an award!

73, Drew KO4MA