Re: member guide

Why? Would someone be ashamed of being a member? Every professional
organization I'm a member of, and most hobby organizations have a members
guide. Even the ones with lots of eccentric types like the National
Speleological Society. I can get the information on anyone whose callsigns I
have heard easy enough without knowing if they are a member or not. Maybe we
should black out the callsigns next to photos in the Journal. Or the calls
in the "president's club".

Your assumption on QSLs is off base too. I've been a member 3 years now I
think, and active on sats since 1992 or so. My QSL cards were printed in
1994. No Amsat number there. Plus, I bet I could find a dozen recent cards
in my pile with Amsat numbers on them that are not currently members.

I just don't see why it should be a secret who's a member and who's not. I
bet it would silence many of the grumblers on the -bb who won't put their
money where their mouth is.

I'm assuming one of the goals of Echo is supposed to rope in new users, and
therefore new members. I'm saying we don't have the data to back that up, do
we? I brought the idea of QSL inserts (with the FM birds in mind) up at the
meeting in Texas, and the response was favorable but no further action was
taken. DXpeditions do it, contest clubs do it, but we must be afraid of
trying something new to pull our rears out of the red. What a shame. We
could have our members do the recruiting for you.

73, Drew KO4MA

From: "Rick Hambly (W2GPS)" To: "'Andrew Glasbrenner'"

> Drew,
>
> The AMSAT membership database is closely held to protect the privacy of
the
> individual members.  Even if we gave out only calls it doesn't help much
as
> you can get most of the rest of a member's information at qrz.com or
> buck.com.
>
> I too would like to use the database to encourage more people to join.
For