Re: Radios for 1.2 GHz operation

I'll try not to be negative.  AMSAT, its members, and the general ham needs to help out in educating the .edu crowd.  I know that we can complain to the FCC but what will happen is that the FCC may take one of two actions.  Either they will change the rules and allow the university to continue as they are doing, which is bad for the general ham community since we would drown in mom and pop bleep sats, or if they operating in violation (no license, interference, etc.) they may decide to set an example and hand down some notice of violation which would include hefty fines, in this case everybody will lose.

Here is why, if universities were to discover how much financial liability they are putting themselves by naiveely operating in the bands they would most likely shut down such projects and summarily reject any future plans (good or bad).  This would have a chilling affect on the education of our future space engineers.

So we need to work with them and help with with what is legal, practical, and useful. We may have to put up with some bleep-sats. But maybe they could have an agreed upon lifetime, this however does not help reduce the space junk count though or work on extra payloads by other interested ham groups that might have a more useful long term life plan.

I hope I have been not been negative.

73, K2LAZ, k2laz@amsat.org

--
73, K2LAZ
--laz

Please ignore the following solicitations: