Re: On leaving AMSAT

Jeff and John:
I'm saddened to read your comments.  I DO understand where you're coming
from, but believe there is still some sizzle in this business.  I can
share in all of the neat things Jeff wrote.  I remember going to sea for
6 weeks to come home and fine my fully automated PACSAT station still
working, and lots of informative messages to read.  (My XYL, KC4WTT
monitored the station and knew how to shut it down if anything untoward
happened, which never did.)  I remember the sizzle of seeing 6 or 7
stations in the queue that were all in this local area, including our
local exhibit at the Virginia Air & Space Museum (which is still
operating.)  etc. etc.

I still find challenges today.  I remember building an s-band helix that
couldn't hear the bird at all, even though I THOUGHT I'd followed the
design to the letter, including the shunt stub matching network.  I've
enjoyed thoroughly all the research, development, and enhancement going
on with helix designs and patch antennas.

I'm heartsick that C and X don't work on AO-40, but still working on the
hardware to use with future birds.  This is the kind of challenge that
got me into AMSAT in the first place, and it is still there.  How about
the work Phil Karn et al are doing with coding on the telemetry?

Jeff, I agree with all that you say about how things that were "really
cool" just a few years ago have become common place.

However, I believe that there are still interesting challenges within
the amateur satellite service.  My only problem is that I don't have the
time to go after all the things I'd like to, so I'm doing it one at a
time.  So, I would ask you, who obviously have done much and still have
much to contribute, to look around and see if there isn't yet something
that you'd enjoy.

Very 73,
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org