Re: Re: Radios for 1.2 GHz operation

Well, Louis, probably not.
BUT...at the risk of sounding alarmist, that's likely the exact line of reasoning that was used awhile back for Part 15 devices in the 902-928, 2.4GHz, and 5.8GHz bands.
Now the adverts for the 5.8GHz cordless phones read "get away from the congestion at 2.4GHz" already.
It is a "slippery slope".
I think the points are many-fold:
1. The Amateur Satellite allocations are *already* shared on a worldwide basis (it is not Amateur exclusive or even Amateur 1st-primary on U, L, S, or C band).  And the likelihood of our influencing those services (particularly at U-band) are extremely small.
2. There is a degree of "squatter's rights" logic used at the FCC...in other words, the response is "if they've been doing this for xx years, why are you complaining about it now?".  Which means to protect yourself, you have to complain about it early, even though it seems petty.  And even that doesn't work always (witness the low end of 10m).
3. I am relatively certain that University students, faculty advisors, etc., have good intentions in their projects.  However, unless one of the individuals involved is an active, experienced ham (not simply licensed!), a lot of the subtleties of coordination, established practices, and even telecom law are unknown.  And who to ask, even?  If I knew very little about radio, would I even know what 47CFR97 was?  (or even what I just wrote means?)
3a.  Sometimes I wonder if people look at the words "Amateur Satellite (service)" and interpret that to mean "non-professionals who utilize earth satellites" rather than the correct meaning of "members of the AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE who utilize earth satellites".  A very meaningful distinction that is lost in the simple words "Amateur Satellite Service".

> From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
> Date: 2003/07/07 Mon AM 09:21:23 EDT
> To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Radios for 1.2 GHz operation
>

> Is there there really so little spectrum available in the Amateur Satellite
> Service on the L and S  (and perhaps U) that we need to be chasing these
> university experimenters away with a stick?  When I see how much re-use
> the APRS guys manage to get on one FM channel, and consider the capacity
> available on these relatively unused bands, I have to wonder what all the
> fuss is.  It seems that some relatively intelligent frequencey coordination
> is all that's required here.
>
> If people are going to quote chapter and verse from the FCC regulations,
> perhap's they'll also notice the bit about the Amateur Service promoting
> experimentation as well.  Maybe if we got these "interlopers" to promise
> to send some CW, perhaps that will be smell enough like one particular
> type of amateur radio to make it socially acceptable.
>
> louie
> wa3ymh

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di