Re: On leaving AMSAT

I find that I concur with John and Jeff, I guess I must be a "Gee-Whiz"
junkie as well.

Yesterday, I had more fun than I can remember (recently) playing with
satellites, and I wasn't even transmitting to one. I got a cheap dish
and 2.4 GHz to 144 MHz downconverter, homebrewed an LHCP patch feed,
and had the whole mess sitting on a lawn chair. I spent several hours
investigating various parameters of the dish (beamwidth, gain, etc.)
and environmental effects (I can copy the beacon through 1 layer of
tree leaves, but not several). It was a hoot.
That said, I probably won't invest the time and effort to put up a
permanent antenna installation unless I really get the bug to capture
and study long term telemetry data. Phil Karn's new FEC datastream
format is beginning whet my interest, and if decoding software for my
computing platform of choice becomes available I will most assuredly
reverse my decision and put up a permanent (at least a permanent as any
antenna installation gets a my QTH) dish, tracking rotator, etc.

I was also involved with the pacsat technology in the early 90's, and
while I never really had a reliable system, I whiled away many
enjoyable hours mucking about with it. Most hams at the time were
plodding along with 1200 baud terrestrial packet, 9k6 pacsat was
lightning fast and uber-cool.

What would it take to really stoke me up? Molniya orbit, digital only,
microwave only, high power tx, link speed >2 MB/Sec, IPv6 for VoIP,
Video conferencing, and chat. I don't want much, do I ;-)

I'll keep renewing my AMSAT membership, because the organization is
doing good work, even though it might not be the things that really
excite me.

73,

John AA2BN