On leaving AMSAT

Hi Folks:

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post.  In my own defence,
let me say that I very rarely post to this group.

I think Joe raised a very interesting question concerning the membership
drop in AMSAT.  As I read Gunther's response (which was also quite
thoughtful) it dawned on me that I was one of those who had left.  Well...
not really, since I still pay my annual membership, but for all practical
purposes I have indeed left the organization.  It's been a long long time
since I turned on my 736 and this summer I've given some thought to selling
it (along with the antennas and rotors).  I'm not sure whether I've left
AMSAT or AMSAT 's left me.... I don't suppose it makes a lot of
difference.    And that's not a criticism, just an observation.  For those
of you who are relatively new to AMSAT, I used to have a fairly heavy time
commitment to the organization, including being editor of the AMSAT Journal
for a number of years in the 80s.

To be honest, the thing about AMSAT (and most other ham organizations that
I join) that attracts me is the "Gee-Whiz" factor.  I like to be involved
in things that are new, capture my imagination, and allow hands on
participation in things that have a flavor of new technology about them.
OK, I'm a technology junkie, and I view ham radio as an opportunity to
continue my self-education.   I loved AO-10 and 13 because it was a
significant challenge to get on them.  I learned a lot about power budgets,
feedline loss, polarization, preamps, and a lot of other things I'd never
before thought about.   I think my interest in AMSAT peaked during the
period of the Microsats and especially the UoSat and KitSat digital
satellites.  There was a very interested community of people who were on
those satellites, many of whom were also developing ground station software
at the same time.  We all used to go to the AMSAT meetings, hang out in
bars together and talk about what to do next with these satellites.  None
of the people who did this were actually involved in the design or launch
of the satellites; we were just its heaviest users.   When someone
developed some interesting new software, it would be uploaded to the
satellites and we'd all have it running within hours or days.  Now in the
current Internet environment this may not seem all that impressive, but
then it was, and it created a sense of camaraderie that was truly
remarkable at the time.  Frankly, I've never been much interested in
operating the FM satellites, the ARISS "telephone-assisted" operations, or
even LEO SSB transponders.  It's not that there is anything wrong with
these satellites, they just don't have a big enough "Gee-Whiz" factor to
interest me.

As AMSAT became less technologically interesting, I found myself attending
more TAPR meetings and fewer AMSAT meetings.  Sometime after that I got
awfully heavily involved in working with PIC microcontrollers... again the
reason was that there was an extremely high "Gee-Whiz" factor.   It almost
seemed that if you could imagine it, you could implement it with a
PIC.  Over the past few years, however, TAPR has become dominated by the
APRS and emergency communications folks and I've found myself attending the
annual meetings somewhat less frequently.    Now it's true that the "Gee
Whiz" factor in TAPR may well be revived in the context of digital voice,
software defined radios, and continuing work on HF digital modes, but it's
not clear at this point what direction this will take.

Frankly, it seems to me that the folks that are doing the most interesting
work (from the standpoint of a "Gee-Whiz" junkie) are in the HF QRP
community.   These days QRP Quarterly is the most interesting periodical
that I'm reading and I detect the same excitement there as I did in AMSAT
in the late 80s or TAPR in the 90s.  I've yet to attend their "Four Days in
May" event, but I hope to do so next year.

I'm not sure what the significance of all of this is to AMSAT.... but I do
know that Joe is asking one of the right questions.  Yes, AMSAT membership
fell by 4000 since AO-13.   In fact, the decline is more serious than that
because AMSAT has signed up a lot of new members in the intervening
years.  An even more interesting question might be, "Of the 8000 members
that AMSAT once had, how many of those individuals are still members."  The
answer is undoubtedly significantly less than 4000.  OK, some of those 8000
died.  But I'm pretty sure that of the bunch of digital ops that used to
meet at the AMSAT meetings, there aren't more than 2 or 3 left who are
still members.   They didn't leave because of a de-emphasis on digital
operations (though that's an interesting question too), they mostly left
because the "Gee-Whiz" factor had gone.

The bottom line is that in order to retain these members, AMSAT must once
again become a place where people are routinely engaged in "Gee-Whiz" kinds
of things and (this is important) they must look for opportunities for hams
to contribute (and I don't mean money!) without building
spacecraft.  Consider this:

When Chris Jackson wrote WISP was he an AMSAT insider?  Had he ever
contributed to the construction of an orbiting spacecraft?

Was Brooks Van Pelt an AMSAT insider when he developed the Kansas City
Tracker or the DSP-12?  Had he ever contributed to the construction of an
orbiting spacecraft?

When Wayne Roth wrote SATSKED, was he an AMSAT insider?  Had he ever
contributed to the construction of an orbiting spacecraft?

How about Mike Owen and NOVA?

There are many other examples, but the point is, it has always been nearly
impossible for most of us to become involved in actually designing or
constructing satellites (note I didn't say "impossible", I said "nearly
impossible.")  But there still were lots of opportunities for folks to
develop both software and hardware that made a significant contribution to
the Amateur Satellite Program.  It's not that everyone has to be a Jackson,
or a Van Pelt, they just have to understand that there is absolutely no
reason why they can't do this, if they decide to do so.  In considering the
proposed satellites currently under development at AMSAT, one question that
might be worth asking is which of those projects provides a better platform
for experimentation and development for individuals outside the usual
community of AMSAT developers.   Frankly, it is hard to see how FM
satellites or ARISS provides these kinds of opportunities.

Well, enough.   This fall I've got to decide whether to renew my membership
or not.   Most likely I will.  However, I'd have to confess that it's not
because of a strong sense of commitment to the organization, but rather
because I support a lot of organizations that I think are doing worthwhile
things regardless of the strength of my interest in their current
activities.  Other people are not in a position to do this and that may be
where some of the 4000+ members went.

John Hansen  W2FS  (ex-WA0PTV)