Re: Radios for 1.2 GHz operation

Hi Isaac,

> We did not realize that the 1260-1270 MHz band was uplink only.  We will
have
> to rework that portion of our design.

There are some documents that have been published in an early attempt to
describe as many requirements as have been identified to date in regards to
University and research usage of the frequencies assigned to the Amateur
Satellite Service.

The recent plethora of cubesats is a new topic for everyone ... and, I'm
sure we're all still trying to figure things out on both the Amateur Radio
and the University sides.  Some of the other universities referred to the
sites I mention below have reported back that getting a timely response from
the international coordination body was a bit of a problem.

AMSAT-North America has published an FAQ for university satellite programs:
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/intro/using-ham-freqs.html

Because of the nature of transmitting from orbit with your signal affecting
many countries, the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) has published
some guidelines.  I personally do not have experience following through all
of their recommendations.  I know of their existence so that's why I'm
mentioning it here.  There is a movement afoot to coordinate new cubesats
into the radio spectrum already used by Amateur Radio satellites.  I also
think that the full capabilities and maturity of these guidelines are
probably still open to further interpretation leading to additional
development cycles of the standard itself.

I guess the best that can be done is to examine the existing documentation
if this hasn't already been undertaken at WPI.  While coordination is being
undertaken internationally, the radio rules and regulations that apply to
your WPI-sat program will be those dictated by the FCC.  So when the
satellite operators on here mention certain things it is because it is the
law in the USA.

Internatinal satellite frequency coordination is discussed at:
http://www.iaru.org/satellite/coord-request.html

The Advisory Panel supporting the IARU Amateur Satellite Advisor has
developed a comprehensive guide for groups planning and building satellites
that will operate on Amateur frequencies:

PDF file:  http://www.iaru.org/satellite/iarusatspecrev13.8.pdf
Word file: http://www.iaru.org/satellite/iarusatspecrev13.8.doc

I recently researched these documents with the intention of publishing them
in the AMSAT Journal so that our Amateur Satellite community would begin to
know of their existence.  Space limitations in our Journal prevent printing
everything ... and, the more I read them the more I began to think that I'd
be preaching to the choir by re-printing them in an Amateur Radio magazine.
Also, it may be best to consider these as "living documents" and
re-publishing them in a bi-monthly Journal could at best provide a snapshot
of their status at this moment.

73 de JoAnne WB9JEJ