RE: Up coming AMSAT Election

By copying AMSAT-BB on your question to Gunther, I am assuming your
question is open to all of the candidates, Joe. Here's my take:

To paraphrase Bill Tynan, W3XO in his excellent Apogee View on the
subject, membership is down for three reasons:

1. The 4000 number is based on comparison to the membership count from a
year when we gave away software as part of a completely new membership.
Many of those members didn't renew.

2. Problems with AO-40 (specifically the loss of potential Mode B
operations) accounted for another big block. I keep meeting these guys
at hamfests and they never miss the opportunity to give me an earful on
the subject.

3. Worsening economic conditions. Hams in general just don't have much
discretionary income these days.

So what do we do to change the situation? There's nothing wrong with a
one-time gimmick, but if we do it again, we have to AGGRESSIVELY try to
keep them with some form of follow-up. That might be best served by
members in a given area staying in contact with them.

Next, we need to revisit our strategic plan and make sure that what we
are doing at every satellite project-level decision point jives with it.
We really do have a strategic plan, it just didn't get followed. Members
of any organization tend to wander off when the leadership doesn't
follow plans developed jointly with its own planning working groups.
Each Board member has to carry part of the load to get that story back
to the membership. The Journal, Dayton presentations, and the annual
meetings just aren't enough.

For the ham that can't scrape up dues this year, I'll show him what he
can do with his existing equipment, or let him use my own station at
home, Field Day, or hamfest demos. If the bug bites, he'll be with us
next year or the year after.

Finally, I am personally dedicated to being a constant ambassador for
our organization. That means I will work towards growing membership in
my local area, (Southeast US) where I have the most ability and
opportunity to do so. Just look at Texas. Membership <can> be home
grown.

Everything expressed here are my personal ideas, not to be confused with
plans currently under consideration of the BOD.

I think <why> they aren't should be obvious.

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI