RE: Up coming AMSAT Election - MEISSE REPLY-

Joe,
Thanks for the e-mail. Well, lets see:
Yes, there has been a tremendous decline in AMSAT's Membership in recent
years.
I think a number of things are at play here.
1. An aging AMSAT population.
	(Many AMSAT members of the 60s & 70s would have left us by now.)
2. Lack of new exciting things happening.
	(I took an almost 20 year break, ending with the pending launch
of AO-40)
3. A funding crunch which restricted what AMSAT-NA could do.
	(In this game, like many, Without the cash, no ride!, No ride,
no new birds., No new Birds, a dwindling interest 	level!)
4. Possible lack of new blood, new young people.

5. I could go on, but let it suffice to say , there are many reasons.

One of the things I plan to seek permission from the Board to do, is
conduct a "Membership Profile". In that project, we would seek the
Fact-Set and Opinion-Set from a reliable sample of our membership which,
when compiled, would give us a profile of the entire AMSAT membership.
Their age, their sex, the length of their membership, their educational
and professional background, their operating characteristics, their
computer & internet capability, and much more. Opinion questions would
include Mode preferences, frequency pairing preferences, financial
willingness, and much more. The idea is to be able to sit back and say:
OK, this is our constituency, and these are their interests. How can we
serve as many as possible within the financial constraints that face us.
It will also help lend credence or discredit some of the statements that
are often mentioned: "AMSAT is a bunch of old guys.." Well, maybe Yes
and maybe No. We'll find out.

So than, the answer is, no, I would not disregard the thousands of
people who have left AMSAT membership. I think though, that we first
need to know about the here and now. Then we can plan for target
approaches to many different potential groups of new members.

The quick answer, which would make the entire issue moot is to send up a
handful of HEO birds and a full constellation of LEOs. That of course,
in my opinion, is not going to happen for a good long time. We need to
develop a new funding scheme, and then, even more time consuming and
difficult, we need to make that program happen.