Re: SO-50 newbee

Good job, Bob!

It's a wonderful bird!  I've had similar experiences to you.  It's not
always on and when it is, there's just a handful of people on it.  You
can have some decent QSOs with it.  It also sounds very good as well.

This bird is a well kept secret!  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D

On Saturday, Jul 5, 2003, at 16:03 America/Chicago, Bob Bruninga wrote:

>> SO-50?  How often is it on? I had given up listening for it and in
>> fact it
>> is not even in my tracking files, because I thought it was harldy
>> ever on.
>
> Answered my own question.  Downloaded Keps, next pass was 8 minutes
> away.
> A few minutes into  the pass and I still hadnt heard anything, so I
> figured, I may as well transmit just to see what happened...  Duh...
> an FM repeater in the sky with no one on!
>
> I had to call CQ to scare up a contact.  N5AFV came back and said, yep,
> typical pass only has a few people on. KD1IN also came on a little
> later.
>
> Being new on the bird, I didnt want to be a hog so I just listened.  I
> would say that 70% of the pass there was  no one on.  I could hear
> myself
> everytime, so I know my uplink and downlink were correct. (but I was
> using
> the full OSCAR array at work).     What a civilized experience and
> on Sunday Afternoon no less.  Pass was about 2040z or so..
>
> Alan informed me that it is only on if a SYSOP turns it on
> pass-by-pass.
> That is why its on sometimes and not on sometimes...  Guess I outta
> add it
> to my APRStk so that my kenwood (D7 or D700) autotunes it on every
> pass so
> if it is on, Ill hear it..
>
> de WB4APR, Bob

> author.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

        - Oscar Wilde