RE: FEC on over North America

It kicks butt.  I can decode at good MA's with my half
wave dipole over a plate that I cut with a measuring
tape!! and my LNA/Downconverter that I got out of a box
that hadn't been opened since I quit commanding DOVE.
I did the plate/dipole trick after I found my S band
loop yagi flattened ;-( and then computed I have sufficient
Eb/N0 to do the job if I could tune in.  I got a spectrum
analysis piece of software out and running, found the beacon
and let Phil's new code rip.  It works.

With your bigger antennas, it will be very surprising
to see it not perform wonderfully outside of the cherry
zone for squint.  That is where we should see the
interleaver and the Reed Solomon really kick in.  Phil
designed the interleaver and concatenated code to handle
these fades.  The RS and interleaver is really wasted
in the good spots.  I assume your antennas are bigger
than a dipole over a perfect ground !!!!

Thanks for all who did this work. It is the single best
demonstration of the power of FEC I have seen outside of
work.

Bob
N4HY