Re: Possible activation of Isle of Man this weekend

Howard

> My question is, on the Eastern pass  I will have a good shot at Japan. The
> last time I did Japan from GJ on AO-40 it was pandemonium. What tips do you
> have for the casual DXpedition operator to deal with this?

On HF the solution is to work split frequency: announce "listening 5 up" or
whatever. The problem being that the callers otherwise won't know when you
transmit and will QRM you; split avoids this. But you'll still get the odd
idiot calling on your downlink - DON'T WORK THESE as it'll encourage others
to do the same.

By all means start off on a common frequency but if things get congested then
go to split - and say so after every QSO ("listening 5 up").

Or - gasp - use cw and a good rx filter !!!

Other tips anyone ? .....

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org