Re: Solving the need for ISA or USB slots and Serial Ports

What?!  A fully integrated ham/sat station using modern networking
hardware?  What will happen to the folks with old 8086 PC's running
DOS?  ;-)

Besides, if too many people go to Ethernet-based solutions, it might
open up a window to let us Mac folks get *our* stations integrated
without having to go buy a Windows machine .. not to mention leaving
the door WIDE OPEN for the migration to Linux-based station control ..
and you can't have that, can you?

LOL .. just being facetious .. sort of .. HHOS .. but it does *seem*
like the ham community has been a PC-only clique for way too long.
Standards that could be used to build an Ethernet-based integrated
station, with all components (rotator/positioner, radio, sat tracking
software, etc.) interconnected on a common channel, would be just the
ticket to level the playing field and let everyone with a computer
enjoy the benefits.  I'm all for it, if anyone's working on a standards
document .. just look at what NMEA did for marine navigation systems
and the spinoffs we enjoy with our APRS encoders, and you see what the
potential is.  Make it modular enough, and you have yourself a really
powerful and flexible technology with lots of applications.

Back to earth .. hihi .. the home automation folks have been getting
into Ethernet, as I recall, and I think there are a variety of
different Ethernet-based sensing and control boxes that could be used
in various functions.  Don't know if they'll work specifically as COM
ports for compatibility's sake, probably not, but I'm betting if new
apps were developed to take advantage of them there'd be a virtually
limitless range of uses for them .. worth checking out.

On Wednesday, Jul 2, 2003, at 10:54 US/Central, Assi Friedman wrote:

> David,
> I think its an excellent idea. Its about time the entire ground
> station is
> on one LAN: Radio, TNC, Rotor controls, configuration matrixes.....
> Assi 4x1kx/kk7kx
>

>> A belated comment on this subject but...
>>
>> How much effort/cost is required for an Ethernet interface on the
>> rotator controller, rather than USB/serial/parallel/etc? As more
>> people
>> end up with Ethernet on their home/ham computers, the idea of having
>> the rotator on the network seems appealing - 'just' connect it to the
>> hub/router/switch and any machine could operate it. Anybody have
>> experience with this? Or thoughts in general?
>>
>> David
>> VE3STI

>> ----
>> Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
>> author.
>> Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
>> program!

> author.

                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB