RE: Solving the need for ISA or USB slots and Serial Ports

Here's some hardware I used to replace the RS-232 interface with an ethernet interface, to control one of my companies' products.  I used the DE-211, primarily because the device I was connecting to used a 25-wire RS-232 connector.  There are jumpers within the unit to allow it to be powered over either the ethernet cable (Power Over Ethernet) or via normally unused pins on the DB-25.  In fact, provisions for either regulated or unregulated power was available.  And the documentation was thorough.  Setup is done by using 'telnet' to connect to a non-standard port via the ethernet, to configure serial settings and the style and configuration of ethernet connection you want to support.

And I'm sure there are other products in the marketplace - this is one I've used successfully.

73, Bob, KD7NM