Re: more cubesats

ld Family <arnoldfamilyhome@juno.com>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] more cubesats
>Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:37:57 -0700
>
>What about people that cannot afford to spend thousands of dollars for a
>station to use AO-40 or others.
>
>Brian AE6GN

Hello Brian.

When I was in college (sometime ago) I use to long for the days when I could
spend "thousands" on amateur radio and not have to scrounge and "glue"
together pieces.  Must have gotten in my blood though because even though I
could spend the cash it still, for me at least is somewhat more rewarding to
scrounge and glue then write big numbers on checks.

The backbone of the Oscar station here is two elderly (but quite functional)
Kenwood multi mode VHF and UHF transcievers and a radio shack 10 meter
multimode.  I call it my CANSAT station (probably will rename it the "Bleep
Bleep" station after the thread here) and it came from two elderly radio
shack Walkie TAlkies, a scrap 386 computer, some hamfest modems, a TV rotor
and some mod TV antennas.

Just got it glued togtether today for the new birds.  My point is if you
enjoy scrounging it doesnt cost a lot of money...and you learn a heck of a
lot in the process.

Robert