Re: RE: more cubesats

Well said Bob. I'm getting tired of this complaining. I work with the
Stensat group and we are building a cubesat kit for schools to buy. It
is not easy building a satellite and what the students learn is great.
It would be nice for some of the amsat folks to approach the schools and
provide guidance and technical support. Maybe with amsat support, some
of the students would join amsat and get involved and future cubesats
would be designed to provide transponder functions.

I see the cubesats that are considered bleep-sats to be a benefit. I am
working with a couple high schools and will be setting up a ground
station at each school to work with the amateur satellites. They don't
have enough money to build up a ground station to operate all the
satellites. They do have enough money for a simple receiving station to
collect telemetry data from the cubesats and any other satellite on 2m
or 70cm. The kids are already excited at the possibility of being able
to track satellites and collect data. Once they get that far, most will
want to communicate. Then you have new hams who are interested in
amateur satellites. The schools will slowly build up the station and
increase the stations capabilities.

I am working with a highschool to develop a two year satellite design
program using cubesats. Part of the curriculum will be obtaining a
technicians license. The plan is to try to complete a cubesat every two
years. The cost has to be low and the satellite will be sending
telemetry. They will use the Stensat cubesat kit which does have an FM
transponder capability built in. I would love to have amsat to support
this program but with this complaining and atittudes, I'm not sure if it
would be a good idea. I don't want to expose the kids to all this
negativity.

I'm also putting together a satellite summer camp for highschool kids.
Part of the camp is to try and track satellites. I wish had more
bleep-sats running on FM so I the kids can see the telemetry being
decoded. The other part is to teach the kids how satellites work, how
they are built, etc.

I'm also running cansat programs with a couple highschools. Last school
year, two kids went and got ham tickets so they can transmit telemetry
from their cansat. They are now interested in amateur satellites.

I thought part of amateur radio was to educate people about radio
communications. The bleep-sats can provide plenty of education.

Ivan