Re: UO-14 demo at FD

Bob, I *did* present it as a demo. I told them ahead of time that it was
just like a repeater, and only two stations at a time could use it, and
that since it was going over the middle of the USA, it would be quite
crowded. I was amazed at the poor operating practices shown; people
repeatedly calling CQ for long times, people whistling (!), people
talking on top of each other, heterodynes, and just a general feeling
of being "Out-of-Control" as one of the younger viewers put it.
I tried once to use it, and just decided it wasn't worth it, as I
already had my 100-point bonus for my club, and so I spent the rest of
the weekend explaining things to people, messing around with my AO-40
downlink, and letting the kids point the antennas and play with the
tracking program and radio. A year or two ago everybody griped about a
particular "Power Station" that "hogged" it every pass. At least we got
on the bird, along with a lot of other people, with the "Power Station"
almost acting as a Net Control.
Maybe that's the way to go for Field Day on the FM sats. Designate a
"Control Station", and let HIM give everybody a chance.
73, Jim