Re: UO-14 demo at FD

On 30 Jun 2003 at 12:49, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> But again, I told them UP-FRONT that this was going to be a RECEIVE
> DEMO only.  We were not going to transmit.  It would be too busy
> during fieldday and we would only add to QRM.  As a receive demo, it
> worked exactly as I told them it would.  THey left excited...

This reminds me of Dove. When it was in voice mode it said something
like, "Hi this is Dove in space" over and over.

It worked very well for demos and was always impressive when you
could tell someone the exact moment the bird would appear on the
horizon. They would hold their handhelds and at the appointed time,
the squelch would begin to break and then there was Dove!

It was a tremendous asset to the sat community that never failed to
put a smile on peoples faces and I sure hated to see it go.

Of course, a UO-14 demo to talk to a guy a few states over is now
upstaged by someone having a 45 minute Q5 conversation with a chap in
Australia via a handheld and IRLP.

That is another reason why the simple FM repeaters will no longer
impress the unwashed masses like it used to. Come to think of it, the
popularity of the store-and-forward birds seemed to wane once
everyone had Internet access. It just wasn't as "cool" anymore.

We have to keep thinking fresh and new to stay ahead of the
technologies that are stealing the 'sizzle' from amateur satellite
communications.

Sounds to me like the CubeSats should be quite a welcome addition to
the things in orbit that we can play with!

73, Jeff