Re: 5T6M, Field Day on AO40

H Wayne and Others

Also hunted up and down the passband looking for 5T6M after Hardy's post,
but heard nothing. Will keep an ear out for him this week though. Thanks to
Hardy for his alerts.

Re Field Day: I must disagree re the ditters - I had at least three
occasions when my QSO was utterly obliterated by them! Granted many field
stations would have limited computer resources, but they must surely have a
tracking program which could assist in their estimation of doppler shift?
Anyway, they should be doing their tuning well clear of existing QSOs! This
I can only attribute to "once a year" ops! Furthermore it seems that
everyone concentrates only on pushing up the power of their uplink until
they hear themselves, instead of working on optimising their downlink
reception. The number of "deaf operators" was astonishing - when I can hear
myself at S7 and the other station cannot even copy me I get somewhat
frustrated. LEILA worked overtime yesterday! As a result I made only 9
contacts between 03h00 and 11h00 UTC. I heard only one other South African
station (ZS6JON) on during this time, and he was only around for a short
while. The utter chaos caused by the number of people calling combined with
the L banders just cranking up the power (some to as much as 2 S points
higher than the beacon)  was very frustrating indeed: on a few occasions I
heard LEILA faintly underneath their signals - probably triggered by someone
trying to get them to back off a bit!

I doubt whether I will bother operating at all during next year's FD!

73
Barry ZR6DXB