Re: AO-40 Tuning

Hi Phil, Sounds like you are using a single radio, right?

Try this.

-Unlock tracking VFOs

-Tune in the beacon on the receiver

-Set your uplink to 435.667 (do not transmit at this point!)

-lock the vfos, reverse tracking

-tune way down, like 50 khz below the beacon

-listen +- 10 to make sure it's an empty area

-unlock vfos

-transmit some dits or repeat your call a few times as you tune either your
transmit or receive *(but just one!) up and down 10 khz or so

-you should be real close to spot on, especially if the doppler is low. once
you find yourself, relock the vfos in reverse tracking
unlock and touch up the receive as the doppler changes during the pass, fast
at the early and late MAs, slow in the middle

This works like a charm and becomes second nature quickly.

*I prefer to tune the transmit, so if I do interfere with someone, and you
never do at beacon-50 or more, it only last a few seconds or so, make sure
you tune slow enough as to not tune past between dits.

73, Drew KO4MA