Re: RE: more cubesats

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Keith N6ORS wrote:

> ... we have allowed or encouraged educational instuitions and others to
> use our bands in the hope of launching satellites that contained amateur
> transponders. Somewhere along the line the transponders dissappeard..

Sorry.  There are no facts to fully support that claim.  Other than UO-11
and a few short lived (under a month or so) student satellites, I cannot
think of any satellite that is using any consequential bandwidth that does
not also have a transponder.

> Most if not all satellites that have been being launched in the past
> several years have been nothing more them 'Bleep' sats, in other words
> they just send telemetery, most of which is useless to us.

Who is us?
Then maybe it is time to expand one's horizons a bit and think of some
neat projects to study in that telemetry!  There are all kinds of studies
we would like to get from PCsat's telemetry, and since it is all
avaiable to anyone with an FM HT, anyone can participate:  such as

1) How well are the terrestrial solar panels holding up?  They cost us
only 2 cents on the dollar compared to SPACE cells, yet give us 50% of the
performance.  Other HAM satellites would benefit from that knowoldege.

2) Study the drift, or stablity of the transmitters and receivers
(HAMtronics modules) that are CHEAP and could be used by others.  We put
them in space, lets learn all we can about them.  They cost $170 compared
to the nearest commercial quote of $120,000 for a space rated telemetry
system.  Yet they are working fine 20 months later.

3) I could go on-and on...

> We need more transponders and i for one
> say if you have no transponder for us then dont use our frequencies.

Wow, that sounds awfully selfish...

> Now some of you will immediately whine and say " but this will get them
> into hamradio and building sats!" . To which i say RUBBISH. I they want
> to build sats they will anyway, and if they wanted to be hams they would
> be by now.

If they subscribe to AMSAT-BB and read all this BS, then I wouldnt blame
them for not becoming a HAM.  Some of the most vocal "hams" though in the
vast minority, are embarassing to the community by their pontification...

> Maybe if amateurs started acting like professionals and
> demanding transponders with frequency allocation instead of what we do
> now which is acting like Beggars and hoping for something we would
> command more respect and people would want to be one of us instead of
> just nodding in our direction using our freqency allocations and blowing
> us off.. i know that was a long sentence, but it needs to be said.

OK, it was said, but I dont think it accomplishes anything.  In fact, it
just adds to the negativism that turns so many people off to the spirit of
HAM radio...    "Demanding"?  Wow, since when has that EVER accomplished
anything in HAM radio?

After 40 years in HAM radio, I have learned a few things very well:

1) Negativism accomlishes absolutely nothing.
2) Condeming others efforts accomplishes absolutely nothing.
3) COmplaining about what others do with HAM radio accomplishes nothing.
4) Trying to tell others what they should be doing with their time
   accomplishes absolutely nothing.
5) Thiking up all the things that OTHERS should be doing for the hobby
   accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Now, what DOES acocomplish something in HAM radio?  I learned this from
Paul RInaldo, W4RI back in in the 70's when I was in AMRAD and he was
president (the organization that spearheaded the development of AX.25 and
packet radio as we konw it today):

1) Hams work on what they want to work on.  It is the intellectual
curiousity that drives them to do the things they do.  THey chose this
"hobby" to DO something 'they' want to do, and NOT to do what someone else
tells them to do (That is what WORK is for)...

2) Being in charge of a HAM project is like hearding cats.  You absolutely
cannot push what is to be accomplished.  Pushing guarantess failure.

3) The best you can do is make sure that those people that ARE doing
something are well fed (nurtured), and have the resources they need to
make progress.

4) Other than that, GET OUT OF THE WAY.  One may be able to slightly steer
them toward some worthwhile goals, but it is only by the most subtle and
intellectually stimulating process.  IE, CARROTS to attract them in a
given direction...  Beating on them from behind, or nipping at their
ankles wont get  you at all what you want.  Except frustration and
failure.

I place the original post in the category of a detriment to progress, not
in something stimulating others to a better future...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob