Re: Checked Airline Luggage (again)

At 01:03 AM 6/27/2003 -0500, Timothy J. Salo wrote:
>There may be a downside to TSA's suggestion (demand) that
>travelers not lock their checked luggage.
>
>	http://www.msnbc.com/news/931836.asp?0cv=CB10
>
>On the other hand, I suppose most ham gear isn't as easy to unload
>as, say, consumer electronics...
>
>-tjs

Yeh, well ask any airline about theft/damage coverage and you will find all
sorts of items excluded...virtually anything of value: money, jewelry,
furs, collectables, and....electronics!  So put your ham radio in
checked-baggage at your own risk...the airline will NOT compensate you for
loss!   I would only consider it if I had bought flight insurance for the
items.  This might be the only recourse for international ham travel (e.g.
DXpeditions).  I would make prior arrangements to monitor their inspections
process and lock afterward.  Not sure how accomodating TSA will be though :-)

My solution has been pre-shipping ham equipment via insured FedEx at my
expense.  Works fine if you are heading to a specific destination such as a
hotel.

GL, Ed - AL7EB