RE: Solving the need for ISA or USB slots and Serial Ports

I'm going to partially blow it for Howard (but I told him I would..) the
device he's using for the USB is
an eval kit made by DLP Design in the US, modem DLP-USB232M
(http://www.dlpdesign.com) based on the FTDI Chip USB to serial (RS-232,
422, TTL) FT-232BM (http://www.ftdichip.com)..

I've thought of using these to control my BUDs for a couple of months now,
but since I still don't have any up, like I told Howard, he "scooped" me on
those parts.

Not a bad deal really, the DLP-USB232M and the "microcontroller parallel
version" the DLP-USB245M (FTDI FT-245BM) are only $25.  The 232 will do
asynch serial at up to 3Mbits/sec and the 245M will convert to a
microprocessor bus parallel at up to 8Mbits/sec (1Mbyte/sec).

The drivers are royalty-free for Windows and Mac.  Linux support is fully
built into the 2.4.20 kernel, but the "bit-banging" modes are still
experimental and a little buggy on Linux.

Bit-banging modes?  Yup, you can use either device to toggle relays, read
switches, etc. (Pulses on an actuator, relays to power the actuator) in the
"bit-bang" mode on either chip.

There appears to be little excuse not to build digital "toys" anymore since
this USB interface is readly available and so cheap.. The IC's only are
$5/ea in small quantities...  So let's see 'um in ham projects, right?

In standard mode (non-bit-bang) they look to your windows programs as a
standard windows (not dos) com port.  In Linux they'll come up as
/dev/ttyUSB0.

Fred W0FMS