Re: TV question

 > No, it's still analog, on what used to be GE-2, now AMC-2, at 85* West.
> "NASA Select" is on txp9V, 3880 DL, and the "Engineering Channel" is on
> txp5V, 3800 DL.

There used to be a third signal on that satellite that only had the mission
audio when the shuttle was flying.  It was either an FM^2 subcarrier or SCPC,
I can't remember.  Anyone remember the details of this and know if they still
transmit it during missions?

>  We watch it at work using a VideoCipher, but it's in
> the clear. I've only seen scrambled stuff on the Engineering Channel.

What appears to be scrambled video on the engineering channel is usually just
multiplexing 2 video feeds into the two video fields.  You can make a field
selector to let you choose which field you are watching, however some TV sets
let you separate the fields.  I used to have a Sony XBR TV that had a split
screen view where you could view 2 different signals in the right and left
halfs of the screen.  I found that if you feed the engineering channel into
both sides of this view, with a little bit of manipulation you could get to a
situation where you had one of the multiplexed pictures in the left and the
other picture in the right.  I now have a newer Sony XBR, and it doesn't have
this split screen option, but it worked well with my old TV.

Bill Jones  N3JLQ  Sweden Maine   wejones@megalink.net

 Main home page   http://www.megalink.net/~wejones
 WWII/B-17 page   http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/wwii.html