Re: AO-7 for FD?

In a message dated 6/25/03 1:47:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
flgrossman@earthlink.net writes:

> My club has asked me to help get our satellite bonus points
<snip>
> this year I'd like to try AO-7.

Hi Frank,
It's a possibility. See below.

>  I understand it's available when the satellite is in daylight and I recall
>  reading that the mode is unpredictable or uncontrolled.

Correct. The key point being that the "satellite" is in sunlight. It's
functioning on solar panels only. No batteries.

>  Will we need to
>  check both downlink passbands and be prepared for either uplink, or is one
>  mode more likely than the other to be on this weekend?

Yes you'll want to be able to check both downlinks to see what, if anything,
is active on that pass.

>  Can we expect the
>  transponder to be on during daylight and "visible" passes over the NYC
area?

You certainly can expect it, but whether it'll happen......

Things to remember are:
It's an SSB/CW bird. No FM.
It's receivers are very sensitive. No need for huge uplink power. In fact,
that will hurt you and others.
Satellite must be in sunlight.

Have fun!

73,