Re: AO-7 for FD?

Frank,

No - do not try to use AO-7.  It's ours, and we don't want to share ;-)

Just kidding of course, but before you try, know what you are in
for.  While it's reasonable that if you are in the footprint and the
satellite is sunlit you will be able to work it if you have never worked it
before you are in for a rude awakening. It may come up in Mode A (2M up/
10M down) or in Mode B (70cm Up/2m Down) and remember, it's single
sideband, not FM.  Make sure you know what sidebands to use, and do not
transmit FM.  If you transmit FM you will only raise the noise floor and no
one will be able to use it.  My club is so worried about it we are going to
use CW so we can keep the bandwidth to a minimum.

Also, if you've never worked a single sideband satellite before you will
probably not have good results - its a very hard bird to work.  Make sure
you can hear the beacons and track their doppler before you key up.  If
you've never practiced before you are probably too late I'm afraid.  I've
practiced on every pass for the past 4 weeks and I'm just now starting to
feel comfortable.  And remember, if you can't here your own downlink,
neither can anyone else.  Also, keep the power low - 5w or under.  AO-7 has
no voltage regular so if you overpower it, it goes nuts.

On the other hand, if you do successfully work it please stop by
http://www.experthams.net/ao7 and log your QSO.  We are just starting to
track these things and welcome your input.

- Emily (w0eec)