From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Frederick M. Spinner
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 6:02 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] TV question

The only DigiCipher I (which is what P* used) left are some Spanish language
educational channels on SatMex 5 C and Ku Band.  The receiver has to be
"tricked" into receiving them, but it is possible.

DCI technology has been replaced with DigiCipher II (DCII) and DVB-S
(MPEG2).  The DCII is a Proprietary system used almost exclusively in the US
and DVB-S is a world wide standard.  When it comes to broadcasting the FCC
doesn't like worldwide standards, and neither do US broadcasters.

There are some who still use C-band.. the DCII format for C-band consumers
is known as "4DTV"

However many international broadcasters use the DVB-S standard and do not
encrypt.  There are several hundred of such channels in DVB-S format on Ku
and C-band both.  Some are not foreign-- for example there are many
ABC/NBC/CBS/PAX/UPN/FOX feeds and local stations up in that format.  News
feeds have also gone DVB-S.

The P* Ku Dishes and LNB's can be used for both analog feeds and many
DVB/MPEG2 channels, mostly international and over 100 FTA (unencrypted, Free
To Air).  You'd need a new receiver for this, they run $100-200.

The authortative source of information on this is the MPEG2/DVB forum room
of http://www.satforums.com

I've cross-pollinated some of the "satforums" members who are also hams with
AMSAT and AO-40 info, so fair's fair.

This is actually one of my other hobbies that I don't have time for!!! :O)
It was a BLAST during "Operation Iraqi Freedom"... many free Arab channels
on Telstar 5 Ku....

Actually I'm thinking since I'm in the country now switching back to C-band.
  It costs $45/mo for the 5 or 6 channels we actually watch on DirecTV or I
could get them for about $12/mo on C-band.. and the picture and sound
quality is infinitely better on C-band.

Fred W0FMS