RE: Circular patch behaves linear

Hi Howard,

Nice work (as usual!)

Based on your pic and the ones on Jerry's site (K5OE) I added
a nylon screw in the center for support. I also added a sheet
of 3mm thick polypropylene foam (dielectric constant = 1) under
the driven element to try to improve the spacing.

By adjusting the nylon screw in the center, thus squeezing the
driven element towards the reflector a little, I was able to get
nearly 20 dB of return loss at 2401 MHz. However, a quick bench
test of the circularity showed it wasn't very circular :(

I do think that using a thicker material would help but I'm
still not convinced about the no-tune part. The issue isn't that
it won't work. I'm sure it would be fine on a BUD, circular or not.
But, on a 2 or 3 footer, you would really like the extra 3 dB.

Cheers and 73,

Tony AA2TX