From: "Frederick M. Spinner" <fspinner@hotmail.com>
To: <w1pa@hotmail.com>; <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Patch Back Element -- when is the geometry
incidental?

> I fixed problem #1 by adding a #6 brass tuning screw on the side
opposite on the axial line that the feed N-connector is on, 1 inch from
the center of the shorting bar (almost to the edge) in the center of the
patch.  Turning that screw down so its about 1/16" from the ground plane
got the patch to resonate at the 2401 MHz,  the dip in the locus didn't
move much.. almost not at all.

> #2 was fixed by using a brass screw for the original CP adjustment,
and soldering a brass nut onto the CP adjustment screw.  This gave me
the ability to actually over adjust the spread in frequency of the two
modes.  The original #6 screw almost had to be shorted to the ground
plane for me to see any dip in the smith chart locus at all.  My
suggestion here is if I did it again I'd use a #10 brass screw for the
CP adjustment screw instead.