RE: Mode-B vs Mode-J

Then you are stuck spending $170 US on a G3RUH patch and more on a dish.
This is the "problem" with AO-40.. There are two practical ways on getting
on:  1. Spend the cash to get good equipment. (Note: compared to equivalent
commercial equipment this stuff is cheap, trust me), or 2. Take the time and
effort to build.  There unfortunately isn't really a option #3.

Although I truely bellieve you can build a patch, mount it to a dish and get
it on the air in about the time it takes to assemble a 22 element yagi....

Again, don't get mad at anyone at AMSAT, these are the physics and the
realities of AO-40.  If the satellite would not have had the "problem" then
the "Plug and Play" BBQ's would have worked fine.

Fred W0FMS