Re: Circular patch behaves linear

William,

I am not sure which patch you built - it looks like the K3TZ.

I built one of these a while back  and some of my tests are reported on
K3TZ's web page.

I also built the patch as carefully as possible to the dimensions
provided.  In the as-built state, the polarisation was nearly pure linear
and it was only after MUCH tweaking that I achieved good circular
polarisation.  My test equipment was a network analyser and a rotatable
sampling antenna.  The beauty of this set up is that it permitted
circularity to be tested across frequency.  During tweaking, you could see
that the patch was often working quite well, but not at the desired
frequency.  This helped greatly in getting a handle on what to adjust to
bring it on to the wanted frequency.  If I had just measured it at 2401, I
think it would have been more difficult to get it working.

I quickly found out that patches are very "high Q" devices, are critical to
adjust and only have good circularity over a very narrow frequency
range.  If our experiences are anything to go by, I think it is highly
probably that most home-made patches, which have not been tuned up with
test equipment,  are unlikely to have good circularity and may also have a
poor VSWR.

Contrast this to the short helix, which being a "low-Q" device, is
relatively insensitive to constructional tolerances.  It has adequate
circularity over a wide bandwidth and a reasonable VSWR .

73

Charlie G3WDG