Re: Re: Heo, Leo, Meo

Could something like the AO-40 arcjet be used to make some orbital
changes?  It can't change inclination very much for sure, but it can
certainly change apogee and perigee.  Or would it still not be enough?

73,

Jon
NA(D

On Saturday, Jun 21, 2003, at 19:03 America/Chicago, Lee wrote:

> I've thought about this too especially since the Delta II rockets used
> for
> GPS launches do sometimes carry secondary payloads.  The problem is
> that we
> would need some propulsion to get into a long term orbit.  So far I'm
> not
> aware of any secondary Delta II payloads that have had any propulsion
> capable of a major orbit change.  All the secondaries I've seen are on
> the
> Delta second stage which after the second burn on a GPS mission would
> leave
> you in an orbit 101x622 nmi with an inclination of 37 degrees.  Even
> the
> third stage only gets the GPS satellite into a 101x10996 nmi transfer
> orbit.
> The GPS satellite then uses its own kick motor to circularize the final
> orbit.
>
> One hope is that the DoD is developing a secondary payload adapter for
> the
> EELV (both Atlas V and Delta IV) program.  You can read about it at
> http://www.te.plk.af.mil/stp/espa/espauser.pdf
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 1/12/03!!!
Digital Photography Page:
http://homepage.mac.com/jogden/Photography.html

"It takes as much stress to be a success as it does to be a failure."

                 - Emilio James Trujillo