Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J

Mike

You really should try being a satellite fan in a place like South Africa!!

Here we have no off-the-shelf equipment at all! We have two sources of ham
equipment: one is the official Icom agent, which carries virtually no stock
and takes around 6 weeks at best to bring in anything, whilst the other is a
one-man business who handles Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and MFJ products
primarily. Neither has any satellite accessories. I have now been waiting 7
weeks for the 23cm module for my 910. In order to obtain one of the K5GNA
downconverters I had to wait for someone to travel to the US, purchase it
there and bring it back - Bob will not give banking details or anything else
to South Africa! Our currency is currently at its best exchange rate for
some time - 8:1 to the dollar. I was recently quoted $150 to ship a 23cm M2
yagi worth $199 to South Africa - out of all proportion. I have managed to
acquire one of them through a ham at the American Embassy here. We read
about things like the DB6NT and DEM downconverters and drool - they cost as
much as an average monthly salary here (without shipping)! Yet despite this
I AM ON AO-40, and loving it! No-one ever said getting onto AO-40 would be
easy (or cheap) but since 2 February this year I have managed to work 53
countries and 130 gridsquares. Even managed VP2EAG this morning!! I do not
have automatic tracking yet, but I will get there... it's called
determination - all that matters is to want it badly enough! I dream of
being able to browse ham shops, or attend hamfests where new equipment is
displayed. It will not happen here! We have 10 operators in South Africa on
AO-40. To the best of my knowledge there is no-one on the LEO sats here at
all - ZS6JON and myself experimented with them for a while, and worked each
other but heard no-one else.

It is really quite amusing to hear Stateside operators complain about cost,
time or availability of equipment. I work a 12-14 hour day, and still find
the time to work AO-40. Equipment here is at a premium price, and we have to
pay exhorbitant import costs to get the stuff (even the majority of
components for construction projects are not available locally & have to be
imported) and there is very little local knowledge to fall back on. YET WE
MANAGE!!

If we can do it here what is the problem there?

73
Barry ZR6DXB
Johannesburg, South Africa
KG33xx