Re: Mode-B vs Mode-J

> To those of you who have nothing to say > except stop sleeping and build,
> enjoy.  You drove another op away.

Mike,

 I've learned one thing about ham radio (and life in general): If it's
important enough to you, you'll *find* a way to make it work.

Here's an example - To operate AO-40, I have to:

* Lug a 3' dish and UHF beam from my basement to my back yard.

*  Manually aim antennas, make periodic manual adjustments.

* Plan ahead to operate the passes that I can work (Currently, I can only
work passes from 180 - 270 degrees)

* Operate two separate radios that tune independent of each other. (I have
no computer control)

* Take down the antennas and return them to the basement when finished
operating.

As you can see, I do not have the perfect AO-40 station. Many of us suffer
from the lack of time that you do, believe me -  I have two small kids! My
operating time is shortened by having to perform all of the tasks mentioned
above. I may have only 1 hour to set up, make some contacts, pack up the
antennas, etc. That leaves about 30-35 minutes of operating. Sometimes I can
only manage to make 2-3 contacts in a session.

I began listening to AO-40 in November 2002. It took me several months to
hear well enough to even consider transmitting. Talk about an alligator! It
was January 2003 before I made a contact, when I realized how poor my
original receive setup was!

I've had my moments of frustration, too, but
I think what has kept me going is the love of the hobby (satellite operation
in particular)
and the satisfaction gained from finally attaining my goal - working the
bird!

I have also been encouraged by the many
fellow hams I've asked for help - K5OE and many others. These guys find
enough time to help people like you and me (hardly driving away ops)

I hope that the people like you who are frustrated and angry with AO-40
operation
realize that many of us are just like you (not much $$$, not much time, etc)
but with one exception -- IT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO US, AND WE FOUND A WAY
TO MAKE IT WORK.

I'm proof that it doesn't take a lot of money to work AO-40. I use a
Primestar dish (FREE) and simple helix. Good quality downconverters are
available for $35-$100.

Giving up and spreading bitterness isn't helping anybody make contacts or
learn about radio.

73,

Kyle
K0KN