Re: NASA Sounding Rocket launch with chemical release, Wallops Island VA

Have they been doing these kinds of launches from Wallops for many years?  I
can remember as a kid one summer night when the night sky seemed filled with
luminescent clouds.  Not like aurora.  More like what is described below,
but colorful.  Late 60's early 70's.  New York suburbs. (And no, we were not
under the effects of mushrooms or other things!)

Does anyone remember similar incidents or have an idea of what it might have
been?

73  Bill  CU2JL  N2CQR
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr

At 05:05 PM 6/20/03 -0400, you wrote:
>(Apologies to those who don't live on the US East Coast)
>
>NASA is looking for the opportunity, beginning June 23, to launch rocket
>experiments that will form nighttime clouds in a project intended to shed
>light on space weather.
>
>Three of the four rocket experiments, launched from the NASA Wallops Flight
>Facility, Wallops Island, Va., will include the formation of milky, white
>clouds. The clouds will allow scientists to view winds in a high and poorly
>accessible layer of Earth's atmosphere called the ionosphere. The ionosphere
>is strongly affected by solar activity, such as solar flares and UV radiation
>from sunspots. The state of the ionosphere affects such things as radio
>communications and Global Positioning System reception on Earth.
>
>The clouds from each experiment may be visible, for up to 20 minutes, by
>residents in the mid-Atlantic region, the lower northeastern United States and
>South Carolina. The chemicals used to make the clouds pose no danger to the
>public.
>
>All four launches will occur in one night between 9:30 p.m. and 5 a.m., EDT,
>June 23 through July 10. There will be about 90 minutes between the launch of
>the first, second and third rockets. The third and fourth rockets will be
>launched about 10 minutes apart. The actual period between launches will be
>decided in real-time as the mission occurs.
>
>The public can keep track of the progress of the mission by calling the NASA
>Wallops Flight Facility launch status line at: 757/824-2050.
>
>NASA will have a Web site with text updates and live video of the launches
>during the mission at: http://www.wff.nasa.gov/webcast
>
>(Full Text at http://www.wff.nasa.gov/pages/newfeaturestory1.html)
>
>Dan Schultz N8FGV
>

>----